Monday, July 2, 2012

Stinky Boy Phase

Ok, so at some point in both my boys life, they hit the "Stinky Boy Phase". Any mention of the bathtub was met with a look like I'd kicked their puppy. Shock that I would even suggest it.

It's been two years, two extremely stinky, muddy, wet (from dragging them in and hosing them off) years. We have almost left "Stinky Boy Phase". While Rogue still gives you the are you serious look, he will get in when I point out that yes I am actually serious. Kaiden on the other hand, is a bit more difficult.

We moved and it was a great move. Because of a friend of ours who was willing to take on 7 roommates, we are living in a five bedroom house. Only one problem, our bathroom does not have a tub. Shower stall only. It's big enough to help my five year old with her hair. I actually love it.

When you take a shower, it's not a big deal really. You get your clothes ready, you turn on the water, you get in, get clean, get out. Dry off, get dressed, and move on with your day. Simple. I can get it done in five minutes if needed.

Kaiden takes at least 45 minutes to shower. First, we have to establish that yes he is taking a shower. Then, we move on to, get your clean clothes. This takes about ten minutes of back and forth. His room is on the opposite side of the house.

So, now we are in the bathroom. Then we move into our door routine. Close it this much, well can I possibly open it this much more. The door at it's optimal (too wide for me, too closed for him) width, we then turn on the water. Then we get undressed. Then we get in the shower. Not the water. Just the shower.

It takes a bit to work up to actually getting under the water. We start with hands, then arms, feet, head, torso, and legs. We are now under the water. Things should pick up here right? Eh, not quite.

Now we begin the portion of our shower that entails standing motionless under the stream of water for a good long while. Until his skin is numb apparently. This makes sense if you know that the sensation of the shower is like being pelted with gravel for him. Once our skin is good and numb, then we can commence showering.

From here on out, it's pretty standard. Our only issue as of now with after shower is drying off. He refuses. To him it isn't necessary and what do you mean his clothes are all twisted. There's no tags he can feel, so obviously it's fine.

Just an example of how much time a day we spend on Kaiden's disorder. Small things that you don't even think of are such huge hurdles.

I mean sure I can sit there and rush him through his shower, I can physically hose him down and be done in less than ten minutes. But, and trust me on this, you don't want to be anywhere near him for the rest of the day and possibly part of the next depending on just how upset he is.

I have to continually remind myself of what it feels like to be him. It is difficult, and I'm not perfect, but we're working on it. We'll figure it out. Me and him? We're a pretty good team.

Quote of the Day:
"Jae! We do not throw organs in the house!"

No comments:

Post a Comment